Pregnancy time of a cat is 63-65 days. But it varies between 60-70 days which is normal. A pregnant cat is called a queen.
What is the sign of pregnancy of a cat?
As a human, it isn’t possible to diagnose pregnancy of cat by a blood test on the urine test. But there are signs by which pregnancy of a cat is confirmed.
- In the third week of pregnancy of a cat, breast size will increase and nipple will be a pink color. It is called pinking up.
- In the 4th week of pregnancy weight of act increase and become visible.
- Heartbeat can be found within cat’s belly in between 17-25 days if it is checked by vet and pregnancy can be confirmed. (This examination shouldn’t be done at home as miscarriage could happen and growth may be retarded. Pregnancy can also be confirmed by x-ray or ultrasonography).
- In the third week of pregnancy, the cat can stop taking food and vomiting maybe happen. Though it is a very rare incident, in this time cat may feel sick. It anorexia persist for a long time then must consult with the vet.
Special care of a pregnant cat-
Special attention must be given to the food of a pregnant cat. In this time the need for food increases by 50 times. In this time, nutritious food must be given and take care must be carried out. Vet suggests kitten food as there are more calcium and vitamin. Besides different types of fish, meat (chicken & cow) egg, eat wet food, cat dry food, etc should be given. Along with these foods fresh drinking water should be given in a sufficient amount.
More amount of meat mixed with a small amount of rice as a cat is non-vegetarian. But this food must be given without oil, spices, salt, sugar, onion & garlic having boiled in water. Raw food shouldn’t be given as there is bacteria in this food and cat may suffer from diseases.
Keep in mind that:
- Excess quantity of food and overweight is harmful to the pregnant cat.
- Keep in mind that cat can’t cat dead and unusual food which may cause abdominal discomfort to cats.
- In the last two weeks of pregnancy, the cat should be kept in the house.
- Keep in mind that cat doesn’t get an injury in the belly and it can’t fight with another cat.
- At the beginning and at the ending of pregnancy pregnant cat should be checked by the vet.