Support us! When you buy through links on this post, we may earn a small affiliate commission, that no extra cost to you. Learn More

10 Christmas Cat Treats That Are Dangerous To Pets

At Christmas, we arrange many Christmas Cat treats to happy our lovely cats. It’s not just chocolate you need to keep your beloved animals away from over Christmas – there are hidden dangers in many festive foods.

Animal charity PDSA is warning pet owners of the dangers of feeding their dogs chocolate last Christmas.

More than 350 dogs have suffered the symptoms of chocolate exposure in the last five years, according to research published in Vet Record.

Keep your cats safe and avoid feeding cats dangerous and harmful holiday treats.

Christmas Cat Treats that are Dangerous to Cats

Your lovely cat’s life and well-being depend on what food he/she eats. Making a healthy life for your cat should serve balanced and healthy foods.

It is important to give the best treats to your cat on a holiday like Christmas. They will love it. But be careful of dangerous and toxic foods.

What should you avoid treating your cat on Christmas? Here are 10 foods you should steer clear of treating your pet with on Christmas.

Chocolate

Theobromine is a key ingredient in chocolate and cocoa powder. It is highly poisonous to dogs and cats and if they eat any, it can have a fatal effect on their hearts, kidneys and nervous systems.

Keep your selection boxes sealed at all times, ideally store them up high – somewhere your pet can’t get to. The same goes for chocolate of any kind, even chocolatey drinks.

Cooked bones

Okay, you’ve got us here. This one isn’t poisonous! You should avoid giving cooked bones to your dog, however, because they are known to split, sometimes scratching or getting lodged into your furry friend’s throat, sometimes causing slab fractures of their teeth.

Raw bones, which can also cause salmonella, are equally dangerous. If you insist upon giving the dog a bone this Christmas, we recommend you stick with a squeaky toy one!

Corn on the cob

The cob might cause a blockage if your pet swallows it. The corn itself isn’t the easiest to digest either so it’s best to avoid feeding corn on the cob to your pet.

Alcohol

Alcohol can cause an array of serious health problems, the most common symptoms being vomiting, depression, visible dizziness and breathing difficulties.

Make sure mulled wine, Bailey’s and other such delights are reserved for humans only this Christmas and don’t leave your glass on the floor unattended either (you know what will happen…)

Grapes and raisins

These are highly toxic to pets and can cause kidney failure if they’re eaten. Watch out for the likes of Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, fruitcakes and sweet mince pies. (Things you’d naturally keep to yourself and guard with your life anyway, so we’re all good here.)

Onions, garlic and chives

These ingredients are known to cause stomach and red blood cell damage to pets. Be careful while you cook: it’s worth keeping your pets out of the kitchen in case you drop anything.

Once you’re all sorted and everything is in the oven, be sure to have a good clean up (especially of the floor) before letting them come back in.

Nuts

Certain types of nuts, macadamia nuts in particular, can cause our pets to suffer vomiting, depression and hyperthermia if they eat them. They’re also a choking hazard.

As with the other foods listed here, keep nuts well away from your pets, take extra care not to drop any and to clean them up right away if you do.

Nutmeg

This spice is also a danger. It’s a favorite ingredient of egg nog, but if it’s eaten by a dog its nervous system will begin to suffer with potentially severe consequences.

Xylitol (sweetener)

Xylitol is found in most sugar-free treats such as chewing gum, sweets and some types of peanut butter. It can also be used in toothpaste/mouthwash and in certain baked goods.

If your pet ingests any such product, they’re at risk of vomiting, general discomfort, seizures and even death.

Perhaps the following will serve as a useful rule: if it isn’t stated explicitly that it’s suitable or designed for pets, this Christmas cat food don’t feed it to them! Click here to read more about the dangers of Xylitol.

Fatty foods

Although harmless in small doses, fatty foods could give your pet an upset stomach and can sometimes lead to pancreatitis – a painful and debilitating condition that can be fatal in some cases.

It’s worth steering clear, especially of sausages and turkey skin; you might see it as a Christmas cat treat but the chances are your pet will resort to begging you for it the next time they see you with it, and if you give in every time, they could end up obese.

I, therefore, recommend you avoid Christmas cat food i.e. feeding fatty foods to your pets.

FAQs

What if My Cat Eats a Dangerous Food?

Should contact immediately to your vet. Tell your vet what actually ate your cat. Take the packaging of the treat with you while meeting the vet. They can get a good idea easily to see the food ingredients.

Is it Bad to Give Cats too Many Treats?

Providing too many treats can upset your cat’s regular ration nutritional balance.

Which Christmas Cat Treats can I feed My Cat?

There are many vets approved Christmas cat treats is available in the market. Besides, give cat treats you can give them some gifts also. they will be happy and entertained on the holiday.

If it is a kitten then try to give some special healthy kitten food as Christmas treats. And if it an adult or senior cat then try canned cat food or dry cat food.

Leave a Comment